4.05.2015

Mango Bliss




When I see mangoes, I think of summer. And comes summer when mangoes are in season, I will buy a box (usually 16 in a box) almost every week. I can never get sick of them.

I prefer mangoes on its own. It feels like a shame somehow to hide them in salads, cakes, smoothies, etc. But sometimes we couldn’t consume the mangoes fast enough and they have gone too ripe and mushy. I would then store them away in the freezer for smoothies later. Do you know that sweet overripe mangoes make the best sugar-free smoothies?

This entremet is a celebration of the season’s mangoes. I want only the mangoes to shine through. So I decided not to include other flavours. I used Kensington Pride mangoes. They are the best type of mangoes to use for cakes and smoothies, in my humble opinion.

If you can’t get Kensington Pride, I recommend using a variety that does not have a firm flesh. And use only the sweetest mangoes. I afraid there is no other alternative.

Now I know some of you are going to ask- can we use canned mangoes. The answer is NO. I hate canned mangoes. They are like some weird mango flavoured things with the grossest texture that taste nothing at all like the real stuff.

I didn’t include the macaron recipe here but will instead refer you to my go-to macarons recipe which I used. I made a mango white chocolate ganache for the filling, which is 200grams melted white chocolates with 100grams warmed mango puree.

You will need about 8 medium size mangoes. Slightly overripe mangoes are the best for this recipe. And please please please use only the sweetest mangoes.




Mango Bliss

Makes 6 numbers of 7.5cm diameter cakes

Mango Puree
8 medium size mangoes (I recommend Kensington Pride)

To make mango puree:
Remove skin and cut out the pit. Cut mango flesh into pieces. With a small food proccesor, puree mango until smooth. Set aside.

Mango Jelly
200ml mango puree
2 sheets (6 grams) gelatin (I used titanium grade leaf gelatin)

To make mango jelly:
Soften the gelatin in a bowl of cold water.

Warm mango puree in small saucepan. The puree should be warm and not boiling. Remove from heat.

Squeeze the excess water from the gelatin. Stir it into the warm mango puree. Pour mixture into holes of mini muffin tin to about 2cm high.

Freeze mango jelly until completely frozen. To unmold, dip bottom of muffin tin in a tray of hot water for 5 secs. Flip muffin tin upside down on a baking paper and give a gentle shake to get the mango jelly out. Return the unmolded mango jelly rounds back into the freezer immediately until ready to assemble.

Sugar Syrup
150ml water
100 grams caster sugar
2 tablespoons of orange liqueur (cointreau)

To make sugar syrup:
Combine water and sugar in saucepan, stir, over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Allow to boil for 5 seconds. Cool completely before adding orange liqueur.

Sponge
90 grams egg whites
80 grams caster sugar
80 grams egg yolks
40 grams cake flour
20 grams corn flour
35 grams unsalted butter, melted

To make sponge:
Preheat the oven to 200C (or 180C fan-forced). Line 30x20cm cake pan with baking paper.

Whisk egg white until foamy. Add one quarter of the sugar and whisk for a while. Then add remaining sugar and beat until stiff peaks form and egg whites are glossy. Add egg yolks and whisk until combine.

Combine and sift both flours. Gently fold flours into the batter with a spatula until combine. Fold in melted butter until combine.

Pour batter into the prepared pan, spread evenly, and bake for 15 minutes or until when a toothpick is inserted in the center comes out clean.

When sponge is done and cooled, peel away (by gently rubbing) the layer of brown skin on the top.

Mango Bavarian Cream
2 sheets (6 grams) titanium grade gelatin
2 egg yolks
50 grams caster sugar
125ml mango puree, room temperature
200ml whipping cream

To make mango bavarian cream:
Soften the gelatin in a bowl of cold water.

Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl until pale and creamy. Add mango puree, and whisk to incorporate. Place bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, whisk constantly, until the mixture reaches 85C. Remove from heat.

Squeeze the excess water from the gelatin. Stir gelatin into the mango mixture until gelatin completely dissolves. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a bowl. Place the mixture over a bowl of water with ice. Stir mixture until it cools to room temperature. (Alternatively, place cling wrap over surface of mixture, and place in freezer for about 5-10 minutes until it cools.)

Meanwhile, whisk cream to firm peaks (be careful not to overwhip). When the mango mixture cools completely, carefully fold whipped cream into the mango mixture with a spatula until combine.

At this stage, start assembling the entremet. The bavarian cream needs to be use immediately before the gelatin start to take effect.

To assemble (1):
Line a cookie tray (or any rectangular baking tray) with baking paper. Place 7.5cm diameter X 4.5cm height cake rings on top. You will need 6 cake rings.

Cut out 7.5cm diameter round cake sponge using the cake ring. Brush sponge generously with sugar syrup. Place sponge in the cake ring.

Place the frozen mango jelly on top of the sponge. Pour mango bavarian cream over, and level with a spatula. Place in freezer until completely frozen.

Mango Glaze
100 grams white chocolate, finely chopped
3 sheets (9 grams) titanium grade gelatin
100ml mango puree (after strain through a sieve)
50 grams caster sugar
100 grams liquid glucose
70ml whipping cream
Optional: 1 or 2 drops of yellow food colouring

To make mango glaze:
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over, not touching, simmering water. Stir occasionally to assist the melting. When the chocolate has melted, remove from the heat and set aside to cool.

Soften the gelatin in a bowl of cold water.

Combine mango puree, sugar and glucose in a saucepan over medium heat, stir until sugar and glucose disolves, and mixture starts to boil. Remove from heat.

Stir cream into the syrup mixture. Squeeze the excess water from the gelatin, and stir gelatin into the syrup mixture. Pour over the melted chocolate, then stir gently to combine. Add yellow food colouring if required.

Allow glaze to cool to room temperature. The glaze will thicken as it cools to the right temperature. To check if the glaze is ready to use, dip spoon into the glaze. The glaze should coat the back of the spoon. Use glaze immediately.

To assemble (2):
Unmould entremets from cake rings. (Tip: To unmould, I place the entremet, still in the cake ring, in a ziplock bag. Slowly lower the ziplock bag into a bowl of hot water, careful not to get water in the bag. Leave ziplock bag in the hot water for 5 secs, then quickly lift the bag out of the water, take the entremet out, and gently push the entremet out of the cake ring.)

Place entremets on a cooling rack set on a baking tray line with baking paper. Working very quickly, and in a confident and smooth motion, pour glaze over frozen entremet.

Allow entremets to thaw in fridge for 4-6 hours before serving.

Totally optional, decorate with mango macarons (macaron recipe here) and edible gold leaf.

Join the conversation!

  1. This entrement is perfection. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks soooooooooooooooo amazing omg! *drool* if only we had super ripe mangoes now...i need to bookmark this and make it for my mango fanatic dad when mangoes are in season... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8.4.15

      you can always line the ring mold with acetate or plastic cake liner and then fill the molds. thats what i do. then you can just slip the ring off and remove the acetate and you have a smooth, clean sides...no fuss.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I love this way of unmolding the entremet from the rings. I don't have a blowtorch so I've been wrapping the rings with a hot towel. I'll try out your method the next time in hope I'll get smoother sides!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and inspiring. You absolutely killed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your blog ! amazing pictures ! following you now :)

    http://bigtreats.blogspot.pt/ (this is my cooking blog, unfortunately it's only in portuguese)
    http://www.onlytalking.com/ (also in english)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! How are you? I have been following your blog for months and I absoluetly love it! your recipes are elegant and sophisticated but still easy to make and look incredibly delicious! thank you so much for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6.1.16

    I love your creations, they are great and thanks for sharing them in such detials.
    I tried this mango entremet (but did a big cake) last week! It was yum!
    Thanks again and I am hoping you don't mind me putting your link on my page?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle7.1.16

      Hi clumpsybaker. I'm glad that the mango entremet worked out for you. Noticed that you attempted my pandan coconut entremet on your blog too. Great job with that by the way. :) I don't mind that you put my link on your page. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11.1.16

      Hi Belle,

      Yes. I did too. Those who tried it really liked it.
      I also received quite a few enquiries about these great creations of yours.

      Thanks again for sharing!

      :)

      Cheers,

      Delete
  8. Just discovered your blog and I'm so excited! All your creations look fantastic and absolutely beautiful. How wonderful of you to share your recipes and baking instructions in such great detail. I'm so looking forward to trying some of them! Thank you so much!
    I just have one question. I noticed that in your entremont recipes where you use bavarian cream, you freeze the desserts in the freezer completely before the final assembly, and then you thaw them for a few hours before serving. Is it completely necessary to freeze them? I'm wondering if you could just refrigerate until set instead. I guess my only concern is that I don't want to serve frozen desserts if they haven't completely thawed in time, but perhaps the freezing is needed to make it easier to handle, or to ensure the glaze sets quickly??
    So sorry to trouble you with such a specific question but would greatly appreciate it if you were able to help me understand this step!
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle20.1.16

      Hi Lisa. Yes, you will need to freeze it so that you can unmould the entrement. And the cold temperature helps with setting the glaze quicker. i don't know of any other way to unmould the entrement neatly without freezing the entrement. Maybe you can use one of those plastic thingy (cake collar?) to line the cake rings?

      Delete
  9. Anonymous3.5.16

    is the thawing necessary at the end of the process, or can it be served straight away? I was going to try making these for an assessment at school but we only have a limited amount of time to cook so i wouldn't be able to leave them for 4-6 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belle4.5.16

    Yes. It needs to be thaw. Entremet needs time and patience. If you don't have time, this is not something you should be making.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Belle, do you think this can fit into a 10 X 7 pan? or would it be better if i doubled the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle30.5.16

      Hi Phoebe. Not sure if the quantity will be enough for 10x7. But I suspect you might need to double it.

      Delete
  12. Anonymous26.6.16

    Hi! I'm planning on making this today and I was wondering if I can replace the corn flour with anything. My local grocery store doesn't carry it unfortunately. (It's not the same as cornstarch right?) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle26.6.16

      Hello. That is a good question. I think Cornflour in Australia is the same as Cornstarch in US? Anyway, you can replace the cornflour with the same amount of cake flour. I done that before but a note that the cake will not be as soft.

      Delete
    2. Although late, I just wanted to let you know I tried this with cornstarch and it was perfect.

      Delete
  13. Anonymous20.9.17

    Hi. Your cake looks amazing and delicious. Question, will the recipe fit or be enough to fill two 6" round pans? I want to make it for a friend's bday and for our group.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, how would you substitute titanium grade leaf gelatine for a standard one? Should I go by weight equivalent?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Im keen to make this but ive heard that freezing gelatine causes it to loose its gelling properties and become watery/funny texture. Have you not had this problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle22.3.18

      No. I don’t have any issues. I’m guessing it’s probably the type and quality of gelatine you use. I tend to avoid gelatine powder. Or maybe you are thinking about agar agar?

      Delete
  16. Anonymous21.4.18

    Hello,

    I have an event where this cake will need to be out at room temperature for about 2 hours. This cake should keep for that amount of time, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle23.4.18

      I don’t recommend leaving the cake out at room temperature for 2 hours. Firstly to avoid food poisoning because of the cream in it. Secondly, the cake taste better chilled. And lastly, the cake might “melt” if the room is too warm. You might get away with leaving the cake out from frozen but you run the risk that the cake may not thaw out properly in time.

      Delete
  17. Hi hi, I am so glad to find this post. Can I ask what is the difference between this glaze vs the mirror glaze?

    ReplyDelete

the 'gram

© Cakelets & Doilies.