5.14.2014

Baileys Tiramisu Cake




Everybody needs a pick-me-up every now and then. And nothing says pick-me-up like tiramisu because that is what it means literally.

I’m fussy when comes to making the perfect tiramisu. I never use instant coffee. That is a big no-no in my books although I’ll still be your friend if you do. I always use baileys in my tiramisu, simply because I like baileys better than marsala. I always finely grate chocolate over my tiramisu instead of using cocoa powder because I find that cocoa powder has a dusty taste to it. I always try to avoid raw eggs, using either the eggless version in this case for the mascarpone filling or the zabaglione version which I have done previously.

I use genoise for this tiramisu cake which is perfect for the job in my opinion. For those who are not familiar with genoise, it is similar to victoria sponge cake. However for the genoise, the eggs and sugar are whisk over simmering water until the sugar has dissolves and the mixture reaches between 40C to 45C. This additional step gives a tighter (smaller air pockets) and springy cell structure in the finish sponge. The genoise is meant to be a dry type of cake, much like the victoria sponge cake, made to be moistened and flavoured by soaking syrup.

The genoise is typically made out of 2 parts eggs, 1 part plain flour and 1 part caster sugar by weight, and usually a few grams of butter are added as well. For a thicker sponge like this one, I like to throw in a splash of milk and a few drops of vanilla essence for flavour. I also use cake flour instead of plain flour because it gives the cake a slightly softer texture. But plain flour is perfectly fine. I’m still trying to perfect my technique for genoise. I think genoise is one of those baking fundamentals that is good to master. Anyway, I have written the recipe below, with some tips and notes, the way it has worked for me.



Baileys Tiramisu Cake

Makes one 18cm cake

Genoise
15 grams unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
30 grams milk
15 grams vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
180 grams eggs (about 3 large eggs)
100 grams caster sugar
100 grams cake flour, sifted (note: you can use plain flour)

Coffee and Baileys Mixture
125ml cup fresh espresso
60ml baileys

Mascarpone Filling
150ml thickened cream, cold
500 grams mascarpone cheese
60 grams icing sugar
60ml coffee and baileys mixture

You will also need a block of chocolate for grating

To make genoise:
Preheat the oven to 170C (or 150C fan-forced). Line a 15cm diameter round cake pan with a removable base with baking paper.

Warm milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until all the butter has melted and the mixture is warm through (around 50C). Add vegetable oil and vanilla extract, whisk to combine. Set aside.

Combine the eggs and sugar in a bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, whisk continously by hand until the egg mixture reaches between 40C to 45C and the sugar is dissolved. (Note: Test by rubbing a small amount between your finger tips. It should feel completely smooth without sugar grains. The egg mixture at this stage does not need to pale and creamy or increase in volume.)

Transfer egg mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk at high speed until the egg mixture has cooled and triple in volume. This will take between 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce speed of mixer to low and continue to whisk for 1 minute to breakup large bubbles and smooth the texture.

Add flour around the edge of the bowl, a third at a time, fold until uniform and smooth, taking care not to deflate the mixture too much. (Note: I find that by adding the flour around the edge of the bowl, it does not deflate the mixture as much as sifting the flour directly over the egg mixture.)

Add roughly about a cup of the batter into the butter and milk mixture, and mix well. Then add the mixture back into the batter and fold gently until combine.

Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes. The cake is done when the top is golden brown and springy to the touch.

Immediately turn the cake out of its tin onto a cooling rack. Place a plastic container over the cake. (Note: This helps the cake to retain the moisture). When cake is cooled completely, slice cake horiontally to get 2 layers.

To make coffee and baileys mixture:
Combine espresso and baileys in a bowl. Set aside.

To make mascarpone filling:
Whisk cream and sifted icing sugar in a bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add mascarpone and 60ml espresso and baileys mixture, and whisk until combine. Taking care not to overwhip the cream.

To assemble:
Line a 18cm cake pan with baking paper, getting the baking paper as smooth to the side as possible. Centre a cake layer in the prepared cake pan. Brush cake generously with coffee and baileys mixture. Pour about 2/3 of the mascarpone filling over the cake, making sure to spread the filling over the side of the cake. Finely grate chocolate over mascarpone filling. Top with the second cake layer. Brush cake generously with coffee and baileys mixture. Pour remaining mascarpone filling over the cake, and smooth surface. Finely grate chocolate over cake. Refrigerate overnight.

Join the conversation!

  1. Your recipes (and pictures!) are always such a pick-me-up. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bailey's. this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that I would love this as I've just enjoyed a Bailey's cupcake and I'm a huge fan of tiramisu. I like to avoid raw eggs too and this version sounds perfect. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI I made this for christmas day and it was wonderful however it is far too small and would like to use a 10" genoise what is the best way to increase quantaties - and have you made it bigger?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this for christmas day and it was a great hit except far too small can you advise what quantaties to use for a 10" genoise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marilyn. I have not tried to make a bigger cake. Perhaps try to make 2 cakes? :)

    ReplyDelete

the 'gram

© Cakelets & Doilies.