11.27.2013

Kimchi Fried Rice




I'm addicted to kimchi fried rice for a couple of months now. I want to eat it for breakfast every day. Yes, breakfast. Nothing better than spicy food to kick start the metabolic rate. So spicy that I have to eat with my mouth open. Here's a little fun fact- chilli can increase metabolic rate by up to 25%. So bring on the kimchi and throw in a few tablespoons of gojujan (aka korean chilli paste) for good measure.

Well actually, I'm kidding about the tablespoons of gojujan. I recommend starting with 1 teaspoon first, and increase the amount to the level of spiciness that you prefer.

Kimchi fried rice is usually served with fried egg on top, but I prefer it with poached egg.




Kimchi Fried Rice
Serves 1

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 cup kimchi, roughly chopped
1 bowl cooked overnight japanese (short grain) rice
1 teaspoon gochujan
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup spring onion, chopped
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
1 egg, fried or poached

Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Stir-fry the onions and garlic for 1 minute, or until the onions is translucent. Add kimchi and rice, stir-fry and gently break up any lumps of rice, cook for 1 minute or until rice has warmed through. Add gochujan, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar. Stir through to combine. Remove wok from heat, add spring onion and sesame seeds, stir through to combine.

Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with fried or poached egg.

Join the conversation!

  1. I just bought a jar of kimchee over the weekend and I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

the 'gram

© Cakelets & Doilies.