8.27.2013

Gâteau de crêpes aux fraises (Strawberry Crepe Cake)




*SIGH*

My oven is down. And I don't mean that it's depressed. It's broken down, again, the third time in three years. I think this will be my last time trying to fix the stupid oven before I replace it with a new one. Based on the last repairs, I reckon it's going to take about a month and several hundred dollars to have the oven fixed. Such is life in Western Australia where it costs an arm and a leg to get a professional to fix anything if you can actually get anyone to come at all. Argh!

Just as well, since I’ve been thinking about taking a short break from butter, sugar and blogging. So this will be my last post until October (or until the oven is fixed).

Anyway, for this post before I disappear for a while, I thought I will revisit my favourite no-bake cake, Gâteau de Crêpes (aka Mille Crêpe). This cake is still as good as I remembered it. This time, I added thinly sliced strawberries between every fifth layers. I’m always a little surprise by how a few slices of strawberries can impart so much strawberry flavour in a cake.

I contemplated for a while how I should decorate this cake. In the end, I decided to go with rustic. I covered the cake with whipped cream and used the back of a tablespoon to create messy random swirls. I like the element of surprise when slice into what seems like a typical cake to reveal the layers and layers of crepes.

Since I have posted the recipe for the Gâteau de Crêpes once before, I will not repost it. Here’s the link to the recipe if you want to try it out.

Join the conversation!

  1. A broken oven - stuff of nightmares. I feel for you. But your cake is beautiful (as always)and I look forward to seeing more of your lovely creations when you return to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks absolutely delicious. For sure a super delicious alternative when you've got no oven or don't feel like baking. Love. Maybe some day when I'm up to the crepe making challenge I will have to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea !!! and the back-of-the-spoon thing is genius !!
    Thanks for that !!
    Looking forward to following you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wayyyy!! I'll pay for the repair fees!

    ReplyDelete

the 'gram

© Cakelets & Doilies.